There have been recent newspaper articles about teen suicide in our community and I want to reach out to parents and make you aware of these signs of depression in your own children so that you may get them the help they need in time.
Can you recognize the signs of depression in your teenager?
- a pervasive sense of sadness or hopelessness
- loss of appetite
- loss of interest in usual activities
- turning away from friends and family or general withdrawal
- lower grades in school, especially math
- drug or alcohol use
- sleeping too much or too little
- awake til early in the morning
- suicidal ideation
- crying for no reason
- irritability or poor anger control
- giving away their possessions
- self-mutilation such as cutting
- a radical change in behavior
You can get your child screened for depression and suicide risk in 60 minutes. Just schedule an appointment at our office with Dr. Kovner, Dr. Altabe or Dr. Khurana by calling us at (770) 729-0123 for an appointment. Tell Janelle (Office Manager) that the appointment is urgent so we can get you in within 24 hours. If this issue is an emergency, then take your child to the emergency room or Lakeview Hospital or Peachford Hospital which are in our area.